The badge was awarded in 1916. Newton was in the newspaper on 30 March 1916, This was concerning the recent visit by the Ponsonby Boy Scout troop to Thames. Following that visit it was noted that 30 boys joined the Thames troop.
In April 1920, Headmaster Newton left Thames to take up the role of headmaster at the Grey Lynn School in Auckland. A farewell was put on by the Baptist and Congregational Church, of which Mr Newton had been an active member of, especially in the area of the Sunday school. It was reported that Newton had been headmaster at the Thames schools for 30 years. In 1906, Newton was appointed headmaster at the Waiokaraka School, at that time he was in the same position at Tararu School.
|Auckland Star 19 June 1920|