Saturday, May 19, 2018

Thames (NZ): Rose & Crown Hotel, Graham's Town

A 'new' treasured photograph has been posted in the Sir George Grey Collection at Auckland Libraries, and shows another previously unseen/identified hotel.

The view is from the top of Upper Albert Street, looking down on the intersect of Albert Street and Pollen Street, then along Pollen Street. The 'new' hotel is lower centre, and given the location SHOULD be the Rose & Crown Hotel. To the left (over the road) is the Fountain Hotel at the intersect of Campbell and Pollen Street.


 The information below is from my booklet on the Hotels of Thames.

The full photograph below shows part of Grahamstown, then on to Shortland Town. Main landmarks are: Government buildings in Queen Street (centre, far right), The Thames School, Kirkwood Street (upper centre, porch on left end), Smale's Folly, aka boarding house (long building top left), and the St George's Hall trading as Cruikshank, Smart & Co, Pollen Street (two storied building centre left). Meandering Karaka Creek can be spotted top left of the school.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 536-Album-285-3-1

Friday, May 18, 2018

Thames (NZ): Alpine Hotel at Tararu

Do you ever get lost in where to go next for inspiration? Well its been one of those days. Then along comes a message from Keith at Auckland Libraries to checkout some new photographs on Thames.

Well the first one I look at reawakens the need to do some further Hotel research - as a new photograph reveals some new information.

The Alpine Hotel, we knew was at the Tararu Junction...supposedly somewhere along the Tararu Road. Well we now have a photograph to go with the little previously known.

A two storied building up the Tararu Creek area. You will note the very low head room in the upper story that was very common for Thames hotels. It was often noted in the various hotels, that you would have to bend over once you got up the stairs. While in the case of the Alpine Hotel, the high pitched roof would no doubt have given some head clearance.

Open from at least 1869, the Alpine Hotel was the venue for mining meetings, which were regularly held at the premises. There was also an Alpine Goldmining Company in operation at Tinkers Gully up the Tararu in 1869. Hotels were often named at the Thames after nearby mines, so whether this was the case for the Alpine Hotel, has not yet been confirmed.

By 1873, John Milne was the license holder for the Alpine Hotel, at a time when the annual fees for the hotels in the remote areas were reduced. Milne had his annual license fee reduced to 20 Pounds at the June Licensing Court hearing.

In 1874, the hotel was put up for auction or removal. It was described as having nine rooms, which were lined and papered, as well as having a double chimney. That is the last heard of the Alpine Hotel at Tararu.

ALPINE HOTEL - ?R Johnson Proprietor
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 536-Album-285-2-1

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Thames (NZ): Two 'New" Church Buildings May 1868

Not long after the Thames Goldfield opened, preachers of various denominations flocked to the Thames. Services, informal and formal were held in the open, in private halls and residences. Talk of the bible was not new to the area, with the Mission Society established at Parawai near the the Kauaeranga in 1837.

Hotels were quickly erected along with hundreds of shops. It was in May 1868 that the Presbyterian and Church of England church buildings were both opened. The Presbyterian Church a simple structure that sat on the brow of the hill above Rolleston Street, on the south side of Richmond Street. A building that was quickly put to use as a school during the week when not being used by the church community. (lower photo - top left) The United Church of England  which became quickly know as St George's Church was first located on Rolleston Street, just north of Sealey Street. (lower photo - foreground right)

Source: Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 4-3681-84
The Presbyterian Church building was opened 3 May 1868 at Shortland Town, Rev James Hill was the preacher. Described as fronting Karaka Hill, later called by mining settlers the Una Hill. It was said to be a plain building 56 feet by 28 feet, 46 rows of seats that could seat 300 people. New Zealand Herald 6 May 1868.
NEW ZEALAND HERALD, VOLUME V, ISSUE 1390, 1 MAY 1868
The opening service for the St George's Church, Shortland took place on Sunday 24 May 1868. Church sources have the building opened 5 May 1868. The Ven Archdeacon Lloyd presided at the first service, at what the paper described as an edifice 60 feet by 30 feet. The evening service had to take place at an earlier hour due to lack of lighting.
Full report in NEW ZEALAND HERALD, VOLUME V, ISSUE 1413, 28 MAY 1868
The St George's first church as many will know, resides today north of their later building, having been moved to that site (and turned over the years).
The first St George's Church far right, adjacent to the Hospital driveway. The present church to the left.
Now the present congregation of St George The Martyr Anglican Church, are celebrating 150 years on the goldfield with a service in that 'first church' - 13 May 2018.


The Pewsheet gives details of the service to be held 13 May 2018.

St George's Church Hall - from the Thames Hospital Carpark 13 May 2018.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Thames (NZ): International Nurses Day

Nurses across the country today, 12 May, have been remembering Florence Nightingale's birthday which also now marks International Nurses Day. There have been demonstrations around New Zealand, with nurses asking for better conditions.

Sadly somethings never change, and nurses over the decades have fought for better pay and work conditions. While researching for a photograph of the last graduation class at Thames School of Nursing, I came across a photo of interest that appeared in the Thames Star 14 February 1989.

Back in 1989, Nurses made headlines by striking for better conditions. A last and desperate measure to get their voices then heard.

There was a 24 Health Sector strike, workers at Thames voted to join the collective action. Miss Robertshawe was Chief Nurse and the time and Dr Ian McPherson Acting General Manager.

Volunteers came to the hospital to help with basic patient care. Strikers placed a notice over the hospital sign by the Mackay Street entrance "No Vacancies Nurse Strike." (photo above)

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Thames (NZ): Early photographs of the Thames Goldfields.

We can sometimes be under the illusion that photography didn't exist when the goldfields opened in 1867. We question why there are not more photographs of those first decades? There will no doubt be lost photographs, over the years people may have thought.."who would want to look at those?"

Anyway thankfully to repositories like the Auckland Library, the Sir George Grey Collection continues to throw up some amazing resolution images. Below are a selection of new scans that are available for free online. Remember if you do use these in publications, contact the librarians as a courtesy and get formal confirmation. They do appreciate this, and it allows them to see where the images are reused.

Karaka Creek 1867
When the first miners settled on the goldfield, the majority were sited on Block 27. This was generally marked as south of the Karaka Creek to north of the Hape Creek. It then varied as to whether this was east of Augustus Street or later Rolleston Street. The photograph below is labelled as Karaka Creek 1867.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 5-159G
Hunt's Claim
The famous Shotover Claim that launched the goldrush 10 August 1867. Just ten days after the field was officially open, a group of men discovered gold! The rush to the Thames began in earnest.

Photo Description: Hunt's Claim at Thames (the Shotover Mine at Kuranui Creek) , Dr Sam? standing half way up the bank with another man and child (right), Mrs Sam? one of the two ladies standing right. The discoverers of the claim - George Clarkson, W A Hunt, William Cobley and John Ebenezer White, may be among the others in the photograph.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 5-159J
Golden Crown Claim
The Lions Club Heritage sign for the Golden Crown Mine is located on the boundary of the Hauraki Prospectors Association property at the Moanataiari. It reads: "Golden Crown Mine 1868-1886. Another Great Bonanza that produced in excess of $7 Million Bullion (Gold and Silver). The original shaft reached 123 metres. Led to the discovery of the Caledonian Mine.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 5-159D
The Big Pump
Set up in 1873 and worked until 1900, the Big Pump was used to pump the water out of the Deep level mines. Located just past the intersect with the Moanataiari Creek Road today, it caused a stir a few years back when part of the road collapsed above the remains of the old structure. Further information in an article in the Treasury Journal by David Wilton.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 5-159A

Tararu Creek
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 5-159C

These are just a selection of the latest additions to the Sir George Grey Collection, which in  includes the Thames photographs by R H Bartlett.